[ARIN-consult] Consultation - Retirement of IPv4 Countdown Plan

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Mar 21 19:41:12 EDT 2016

John,

As others have said, the proposed changes seems reasonable and justified
given current circumstances.  A strict adherence to "first in, first out"
for adding additional entries to the waiting list seems much less relevant
at this point.  Especially with the waiting list representing many times
the IPv4 resources that seem likely to be made available to the free pool
within the foreseeable future.  Furthermore, as long as there is a
sufficient waiting list for resources, a strict adherence to the order that
requests are received seem unlikely to matter in the grand scheme of
things, and placing requests on the waiting list in their order of approval
without regard to the order the request was received seems sufficiently
fair.

My only suggestion would be to set a threshold for the community to revisit
the issue.  Such as if the waiting list were ever depleted to the point
where the order that requests are received could be perceived to matter
again.  I'm not necessarily suggesting we should return to a strict
adherence to "first in, first out" at such a point, just that it seems
reasonable for the community to revisit the issue if/when we approach such
a point.

Such a trigger point seems fairly arbitrary, but ideally it should provide
sufficient time for the community to reasonably consider the issue prior to
depletion of the waiting list.  Thirty(30) days seems sufficient time for
the community to consider the issue.  Therefore, I'd suggest to asking
staff to trigger a review of the issue by the community when in their best
estimation they believe we are within ninety(90) days, or less, of free
pool resources being made available for which there would be no one on the
waiting list eligible to receive.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952