[ARIN-consult] Community Consultation on IRR Route Validation. attorney client communication.

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Apr 1 03:52:31 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 09:09:22PM +0000, John Curran wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2015, at 4:52 PM, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:
> > Now, I understand that you can buy a maintainer object, and thus protect
> > your own address space - but as a user of the RADB, how can I see which
> > objects are legitimate, and which (paid-for!) maintainers just put in
> > stuff that does not belong to them?
>
> On a (slightly) related question...  Are there organizations, e.g. security
> or management service providers, that put entries in routing registries and
> update them on behalf of their customers?   I've heard folks mention this now
> and then, but have no direct experience (and it could easily be relevant to
> understanding goals and requirements for any changes)

"Yes" :-)  - I won't claim to know all particular cases, but we certainly
have the case that a customer comes to us with a PI network (= portable
addresses), asking us to route it for him, but is not really interested
in the doing all technical details himself - so we maintain the RIPE DB
for them - either pointing the route: object at our own AS, or at their
AS and also updating their inetnum: object.

In RIPE land, there is also the concept of "sponsoring LIR" for portable
address space (PI), where the LIR is responsible for maintaining the ties
between end user<->LIR<->RIPE NCC.  In that case it's not unusual for the
sponsoring LIR to also maintain the RIPE DB objects (inetnum, route) even
if they are not providing transit connectivity.

In the RIPE DB, this is fairly straightforward - central to authorization
are the maintainers referenced by the inetnum: objects, so if a customer
wants us to do something, they can either give us their maintainer
credentials (not really recommended), or add our maintainer object to
their inetnum: and aut-num: objects, so we can then proceed to do the
necessary DB updates.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279