[ARIN-consult] Fee restructuring

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Oct 27 18:33:26 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:
> First, I don't believe that $300 is any significant amount of money to any
> operating business, profit or non-profit.

Hi Jo,

Respectfully, you're missing the point. Your belief and its
correctness or lack are not at issue here.

Reasonable or not, ARIN fees and the need to put them through a
company's accounts payable process are one of the reasons folks elect
to defer deploying IPv6. Not the only reason. Not the most significant
reason. But one of the few reasons that ARIN can do anything about
without either fouling number policy or placing itself at legal risk.

No one expects ARIN to wave a wand and suddenly everybody deploys
IPv6. Nevertheless, ARIN is doing *less than it can* to facilitate
IPv6 deployment. And if an organization in ARIN's or ICANN's or the
IETF's position is doing less than it reasonably can then it's not
doing enough.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004