[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Nov 14 16:53:02 EST 2012

On Nov 14, 2012, at 3:47 PM, "Jesse D. Geddis" <jesse at la-broadband.com>
 wrote:

> John,
>
> I'm confused. How could paying almost 300x more per IP be construed as benefiting smaller organisations?

Jesse -

Looking at things on a per-IP basis does not reflect actual costs
in any meaningful manner and may indeed result in ample confusion.

We can try if you wish:  Presently, end-users pay $100 for annual
maintenance for an unlimited number of IPv4 blocks, so the fee per
IP is highly variable based on size and number of blocks held.

Under the proposed fee structure, the annual maintenance fee is
$100 per IPv4 block per year, which means that it is $0.39 per IP
address for an organization with a /24 IPv4 block, $.00153 per IP
address per year for a /16 IPv4 block, etc.  With IPv6, the same
math applies, but divide the fees by 2 to the 96th power...

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO