[ARIN-consult] EoL for Email Templates

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Sep 25 19:40:38 EDT 2009

To be honest, I can't really even imagine Email Templates
going away.  But, I do have some sympathy for Mark and
ARIN's developers, do they have to support Email as a API
forever and ever?

So maybe we should think about about this simply as a
product life cycle question.  I expect my product vendors to
have a replacement product out an operating for some time
before they announce the End-of-Life for the previous product.
Lets say 1 year for sake of discussion.  Then, I normally expect
the vendor to provide support for a product for 3 to 5 years
following the announcement of the the End-of-Life.

So, if ARIN were to fully have a new replacement for some
Email Template released on 10/1/2009.  Then it might be
reasonable to announce EOL for that template 10/1/2010, with
support for the Template to cease on 10/1/2015.

If we think of Email Templates as a product that is 20 to 25
years old, which was adapted from another product, a paper
form, maybe 30 or more years old. (Although Paper forms are
much older than that, they just weren't use for requesting
Internet Resource until about 30 year ago or so).

So, maybe it is not completely unreasonable to consider a EoL
process for for Email Templates.  But, I wouldn't be thinking
about making them go away until like 2015 or beyond.

What do others think of something like that?  This would at
least give Mark and the developers a light at the end of the
tunnel, all be it a long tunnel from their prospective.

David Farmer                                      Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota		       Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE		       Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029	       FAX: 612-626-1818