[ARIN-consult] Call for Community Consultation -- Retiring ARIN E-mail Templates

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Fri Sep 25 16:19:23 EDT 2009

Scott Leibrand wrote:
> We primarily use the e-mail templates as an API to interface with our IP
> management system.  It's important that such automated functionality
> remain available, rather than requiring transactions to go through a
> website designed for humans.
>
> Once all of the templates' functionality is available via an API and
> website interfaces, it may be reasonable to deprecate and eventually
> retire the e-mail templates.  However, such a change needs to be
> communicated well in advance, to give everyone time to update their own
> systems to interact with the new API, and do appropriate testing, etc.

(Just subscribed, forgive me if my points were already discussed.)

I agree, but I'd like to add that the audience that uses the email
templates is likely one that does not need shiny-clicky buttons on a
website to do their job. In fact, I find it can impede my work vs. a
system such as templates by email.

Even with a web API, the email templates are a far easier, cleaner way
to automate what we do with ARIN. (Plus we can PGP sign submissions.) If
it were up to me, I'd keep the email templates forever.

Seth Mattinen		sethm at rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC