[ARIN-consult] Call for Community Consultation - Automated Template Submission and Testing

Member Services info at arin.net
Fri Dec 19 11:43:37 EST 2008

Syntax, ARIN would like additional community input regarding
expectations for format/delivery and test/validation of automated templates.

ARIN is creating a new provisioning system for its customers as part of
the Secure Login initiative. In upcoming releases, many of the templates
that are currently submitted via e-mail will be available for online
submission. However, there are a few templates that are currently
delivered to ARIN via e-mail in an automated fashion. These forms do not
lend themselves easily to manual web-based template submission system.

As ARIN is updating our provisioning systems, we would like community
feedback on alternative methods and/or formats for delivery templates
that are automated by our customers. There are several options under
consideration: maintaining the current submission format for automated
forms; providing a secure, authenticated conduit for these same forms;
offering an XML format using a RESTFUL interface; or some other option,
like using EPP. For example LACNIC is in the development stages of
creating an EPP interface for their customers.

ARIN would also like input on what the community wants in terms of
testing and validation.  Connection-oriented solutions such as RESTFUL
HTTP and EPP are more readily integrated into test frameworks and
validation suites than e-mail templates. ARIN would know your
expectations for both format/delivery and test/validation for automated
templates.

Discussion on this list will close at 5:00 PM ET 30 January 2009. ARIN
may decide to conduct a poll on the topic during the following week
depending on the volume and diversity of the discussion. Participation
in the poll will be limited to arin-consult mail list subscribers who
are registered at the time the poll opens.

The ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process documentation is available at:
http://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/acsp.html.

We welcome community-wide participation.  Please address any process
questions to info at arin.net.

Regards,

Member Services

2008.5
Submitted 4 February 2008
ARIN should deploy a testbed for checking the syntax in ARIN templates.
This would allow users to test the template before submitting it. It
would allow new users to practice in a non-production environement. It
would allow organizations who automate template generation to test
changes, before putting them into production.
RIPE has a tool that could be used as an example: http://www.ripe.net/tools/