[arin-announce] ARIN's Whois-RWS Directory Service Available 17 July

Member Services info at arin.net
Thu Jul 15 16:03:37 EDT 2010

ARIN is pleased to announce that it will deploy its Whois-RWS service on
17 July 2010. We have corrected the issues that impacted the first
release and are now able to bring you the following services that
provide the general public with access to ARIN's registration data:

* a RESTful Web Service (RWS)
* a NICNAME/WHOIS port 43 service
* a user-friendly web site (http://whois.arin.net)

When using the Whois-RWS you will notice some differences in behavior
for certain queries and corresponding result sets on the NICNAME/WHOIS
port 43 service. The detailed documentation on these differences has
been updated and is now available at:
https://www.arin.net/resources/whoisrws/whois_diff.html

ARIN’s Directory Service for registration data has used the
NICNAME/WHOIS protocol since its inception. The limitations of the
NICNAME/WHOIS protocol are well known and documented in RFC3912.
Whois-RWS was created as an alternative to the ARIN Whois and will
provide much richer functionality and capability to the community.

ARIN continues to welcome community participation on the Whois-RWS
mailing list, and we invite you to subscribe and share your experience
and feedback about the new service: